Thursday, November 29, 2012

Things I never knew about Malaysia




Recently I had to do research on a country for my International Media class. I picked an obvious country, Malaysia because I thought that it would probably be an easy task. I was wrong. I realized how little I knew about my country. I made up a list of things I realized I didn't know.

1) The population - 28,859,154
2) The land mass - 329,874 sq km (127,350 sq mi)
3)Racial breakdown

Malay - 50.4%
Chinese - 23.7%
Indian - 7.1%
Indigenous - 11.0%

I never realized how small the Indian community was in Malaysia.

4) Religion breakdown

Islam - 64.4%
Buddhism - 17.8%
Christianity - 9.2%
Hinduism - 6.3%

Another fact that surprised me was the number of foreign radio frequencies in Malaysia. I never even knew that Malaysian broadcasted foreign radio stations.

There are stations from Thailand, Vietnam, and even Britain.

To be honest, I am also reminded that I have forgotten a good chunk of Malaysian history. I have always pride myself in knowing that I knew a lot about Malaysia. Well, as the saying goes, "pride comes before a fall". I think that this research has humbled me and have taught me so many things. I am very honored to be from a country that has such rich history and I hope to learn more about it and share.



No comments:

Post a Comment