Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Adapting Feet

When my feet first stood on Oklahoma ground two years ago, I thought that adapting would be a breeze. Growing up in an english-speaking Christian family, I daresay I had enough "western mentality" to fit right in without having too much trouble. After all, I

a) I have a good grasp of the english language.

b) My religious beliefs probably matched a decent amount of the bible-belt region of the United States.

c) I had friends who studied at UCO ready to help me.

d) I spoke good english

e) I watched enough American television to give me a good (I thought) overview of the culture here

f)  I spoke English, fluently.


So, not long after my arrival, I was conversing with my RA (I lived on campus my first year) and found that I had to leave to another appointment. At the end of his sentence, I took my chance.

 I drew out my hand for a hand shake and said,

 "I'm going to make a move now".

He stepped back quickly, like the hand jerk reflex when touching a hot surface and looked stunned. There was a moments pause before he said, "You're going to make a move on me? Dude, I'm straight".


Yes, i'm straight too. In Malaysia, saying, "I'm going to make a move" was the polite way of excusing yourself, NOT hitting on someone.


This experience quickly taught me that my "fluent english" is tattered with British english, which will be explained shortly, earn you awkward situations and Manglish, which is Malaysian english, or some say, "mangled english".

Another interesting one is the word, "follow". In Malaysia when you ask somebody if you can "follow" them in a transportational situation, it means that they want to ride with you, NOT trail behind you. Please don't leave them behind assuming they have a mode of transportation.

And of course, being under the British reign for decades, Malaysians stuck with the British education system. Therefore,


When I say I need a trolley for shopping, I mean a cart.

When I request for a serviette or tissue, I am asking for a napkin or paper towel.

If I ask you for a rubber in the classroom, I need to erase a pencil marking. And no, I do not want to have sex with you.

My "rubbish bin" is the equivalent for "trash can" and colour and flavor  and realise are not spelt incorrectly. Dang you squiggly red lines auto-correct!

When I say, "Can I put my bag in your car boot", I mean your car trunk. I do not intend on stuffing my bag into the slit for your feet. And no, cars in Malaysia do not have feet wear.

British army
So yes, there you have it. Two sides, with the poor Malaysian in between.

American army


No comments:

Post a Comment