Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dr. Hochenauer of Okie Funk

Recently, on October 4th, Dr. Clark invited a guest speaker on my blogging class to give the students a little more insight on blogging. Dr. Hochenauer, is a professor at UCO who not only teaches a class on blogging, but also has a "liberal-based" blog called Okie Funk. He received anonymous threats from readers as well as co-workers who felt that his messages and opinions were too "out there" for the calm Oklahoma.

However, Dr. Hochenauer persevered and is getting more known within the community. Although it has not been said that he has stopped received threats, it might be reasonable to say that his readers are getting used to his radical ideas.

One thing I admire about Dr. Hochenauer is that his blog hasd a purpose. He does not choose to be liberal just for the sake of being a rebel. Dr. Hochenauer wishes to educate Oklahomans and hopes that the people today will take a stand and not hold on to the stand of the older generation just because they "were told so".

This is something that I have taken from Dr. Hochenauer. I believe that often times, I choose to be extremely careful with what I post. I was born in a conversative home and was taught certain values. I find myself censoring because I am afraid of my family back home telling me that I have "changed". The truth is, I have changed because change is inevitable.

Dr. Hochenauer has taught me not to just go witht he flow. I have to take a stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment