Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mr. Dave Rhea

Mr. Dave Rhea.
I had the privelege of hearing Mr. Dave Rhea speak at my blogging for journalist class yeaterday. Mr. Rhea has made me realized the importance of being flexible. Mr. Rhea talked about his advantage being so internet savvy that causes him to have more job security because he is more "portable".

To be frank, I never thought much about online journalism. In classes I have learned a lot about the benefits and how the generations are moving towards the internet even for news. However, I always saw myself working at a newspaper on more of the "traditional side" where my work appears on dead trees, as Dr. Clark class it, rather than it being posted on a void.                                                         
Mr. Rhea mentioned that he finds himself being underpaid as a journalist and is always finding ways to make money through journalism. This has also made me start thinking about my future and ways I can equip and hone my skills to be able to not just focus on one, but different aspects of journalism, which can include photography, editting, and more.

Mr. Rhea also talked about the importance of content. He said something that surprised me, which was the fact that spelling and grammar can be overlooked, provided the content is good. I have to say that I somewhat disagree with that. As much as a fully agree with the importance of content, I think that grammar, spelling and sentence structure differentiates a good writer from a bad one. Good sentence structure and grammar often goes hand in hand with content.

All in all, I enjoyed Mr. Rhea's talk in our class. I will certainly try to work on my content, as well as continue to proof read my work to ensure the best results both content-wise and language-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment